Design Profession: Firm
Building Types: Civic, Commercial, Cultural, Educational, Other, Recreational, Religious, Residential, Social
Gunnar Birkerts and Associates (GBA) was established in 1963 in Birmingham, Michigan, after the dissolution of Mr. Birkerts' partnership with Frank Straub.
The firm first had offices at 1300 North Woodward Avenue, and then at 909 Haynes Street, both in Birmingham. The latter office was designed by Mr. Birkerts.
GBA employed a number of notable local architects, including: Keith A. Brown, Almon J. Durkee, Charles F. Fleckenstein, Jr., Anthony A. Foust, John D. Hilberry, and Harold F. Van Dine, Jr., among others.
In addition to the firm's many architectural accomplishments, GBA also developed a patented, energy-saving wall design that was first used in the former International Business Machines Corporation office tower in Southfield, Michigan.